Monday, November 17, 2008

A New Day Has Come



Friday, November 14, 2008 was no ordinary Friday.

Friday, November 14, 2008, we got a call that was arranged by our most powerful Operator; the call that we had been waiting for; the call that would make us Mommy and Daddy.

11-14-2008 ~ 12:00 PM

Alan got a call from the agency saying a baby was born and the birthmother had selected us to be his parents. Alan called me and I was literally speechless. He even asked, “Are you there?” I stuttered a little bit and finally told him, “I better come home.” I wandered out of my office with a look about me that was concerning to my co-workers. I told them we had gotten “the call” and my precious friends cried and my friends gave me my marching orders, “Go! Be Careful! Do you want us to drive you? Call us!”

As I was getting in the car, I called my mom and sister.

By 4:00 PM, our bags were packed and we felt confident that our previously wobbly legs would get us to the car so we could head to Amarillo to meet our son.

God’s timing put us in Amarillo as Jennifer’s plane landed. We picked her up and headed to the hospital.

11-14-2008 ~ 11:09 PM

As we entered the hospital doors, all eyes were on the signage that would direct us to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Third floor please! Our baby is waiting!

Using the call button that we would learn to love, we announced our arrival and the sound proof security door unlatched and gave us access to the tiniest answer to the biggest prayer we have ever had ~ Graham Allen Ogden.

We were shocked to see our precious baby so tiny tangled among wires and cords and tubes and prayers. His Hollywood sunglasses were protecting his eyes from the phototherapy lamps. He was wearing a C-PAP (we call it his Rhinoceros nose) to provide stimulation for his lungs and oxygen. His tiny features seemed perfect. Ten toes and ten fingers and his little tiny button nose captured our hearts.

The medical staff explained his condition. He was born at 32 weeks gestation (8 weeks premature). This was earlier than we originally understood. We were told that he was doing everything he was supposed to be doing for a baby his age and that they were proud of him. We were only allowed to look at him – no touching. They explained to us that preemies typically released around their original due date – potentially 8 weeks from now, in our case.

As we left for the hotel, we knew that we were beginning down a long road. We needed information but had no idea what questions to ask. It was a long night.

11-15-2008 ~ 8:00 AM

After another look at our little guy and it was time to “scrub in”. We got a quick lesson in proper technique and put our new knowledge to a long 3 minute practice. I’m almost certain that the last time Alan’s fingers were this clean was the day he was born, but anyway… We dressed in our attractive yellow gowns that make everyone appear to need a BillyRuben phototherapy lamp and ventured across the hall for our first “touch time”. The nurses perform assessments on preemies in the NICU every 3-4 hours according to the feeding schedule and the parents are allowed to assist which provides opportunities for touching. NICU babies can only be touched during these times to prevent over stimulation of their nervous systems.

We were so glad to meet with our caseworker, Holly. She worked her magic and the three of us got a full report from the medical staff. At this point we learned that Graham was born on Wednesday, November 12 at 6:32 PM. He tipped the scale at 3 lbs 8 oz and 17 inches long. We also learned that he is not expected to have any long term complications that a full term baby wouldn’t be susceptible to. He would need to meet several criteria and put on some weight before he would be allowed to come home. Alan said, “Let’s pour the feed to him!” During this time, we learned that our stay would be sweeter thanks to the Ronald McDonald House. We checked in to our home away from home and headed back to the hospital for another round of “touch time”.

11-15-2008 ~ 11:00 AM

This visit provided another first. The medical staff removed Graham’s rhino nose and Hollywood shade and cap. We saw our little boy’s face for the first time and he took our breath away. It would be an understatement to say there were some tears. We went back to our room for some much needed rest and at this point, we could rest. Prayers were being answered.

11-15-2008 ~ 5:00 PM


Daddy and Cookie scrubbed in. Daddy took Graham’s temperature and cleaned his bellybutton. He started the diaper change – it took 2 diapers since one got dropped on the floor. Nurse Jessica referred to Alan as “Daddy”. Cookie touched Graham for the very first time and saw his beautiful face without his stylish Hollywood sunglasses, mask and cap. We were informed that Graham would get a chest x-ray over night to check his lung progress. He went 3-4 minutes without oxygen support and was taking 2 ccs of formula through a feeding tube.

Mommy and Jennifer took the next turn with that little guy. We got a report about his oxygen and watched as the respiratory therapist flipped that fellow like a pancake. She put tubes in his nostrils rather than that big ol’ rhino mask.

11-15-2008 ~ 8:00 PM


I lifted Graham up off of his crib so he could be weighed. It was the first time I was supporting his whole weight in my hands but it made me want to hold him even more. Turns out Graham had lost a little weight ~ down to 3 lbs 3 ½ oz. Eat up, little one.

11-16-2008 ~ 8:00 AM

Graham was taken off of the CPAP and is now only on oxygen. We were told he may be moved to an isolette today which would increase our amount of touching. We also got word that holding Graham would be a possibility either today or tomorrow. We took some precious pictures of Graham gripping his daddy’s finger! So sweet. I’m pretty sure that was a direct path to Alan’s heartstrings because he hasn’t been the same since.

11-16-2008 ~ 11:00 AM
Graham had a gas test that wasn’t as good as it should have been so he was told that he needed to poop or he was going to be given some “help” with that in the form of a suppository. Graham slowly opened one eye and made a very disgruntled face. We took Graham’s first pictures at this visit.

11-16-2008 ~ 3:00 PM
Nurse Jessica called to let us know that Graham had to be put back on the CPAP. We understand that it is better for NICU babies to be given forced oxygen then for them to struggle with out it causing stress. This is not considered a set back.

11-16-2008 ~ 5:00 PM
We scrubbed in and began our visit. We talked to Baby G and several times he opened his eyes just cause Momma told him to. More pictures were taken including one of Momma’s hand with Baby Graham. We took full advantage of Nurse Jessica’s preoccupation with G’s roommate and spent some extra time touching our little fella!


11-16-2008 ~ 8:00 PM

WE GOT TO HOLD HIM! Graham grinned and looked at his Daddy while Alan held him. When it was my turn, G-Man just slept like a rock and cuddled with his Momma. Alan and I answered some questions for Nurse Tim and had a really good talk with him about some of the concerns we have. There was a required “social” interview that Tim conducted so for the first time, we spoke on behalf of our family of three and provided answers about our baby boy.

11-16-2008 ~ 8:00 AM

We arrived to find a sweet surprise! Baby Graham was finished with his phototherapy and had been moved to the isolette.

11-16-2008 ~ 11:00 AM

After Alan and I saw Graham, Jennifer and I scrubbed in. Jennifer was so proud that she got touch Graham. I’m pretty sure she touched everything that is appropriate for an aunt to touch! It was good to spend some more time with Baby G.

11-16-2008 ~ 3:00 PM

We signed our adoption agency paperwork declaring us Graham's parents.

4 comments:

KJ Druyvesteyn said...

OH MY WORD! CONGRATULATIONS! I hope I spelled that correctly since I am crying tears of joy for you!

Keep the pictures coming and I'm SOOO happy for you!!!!!

Anonymous said...

We are so thrilled!! The pictures are wonderful. I wish I was there with you to "touch" little Graham!!

Love to all three Ogdens!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, I know you both are very proud and excited. I know Aunt Jennifer is here at Watauga. He is precious and is a very lucky little guy.
Donna

Anonymous said...

Congratulations I can’t wait to meet him. He is so hansom. Enjoy him being that small. They grow up way to fast. Before you know it he will be 6 months old and 20lbs. Yall are in our prayers.

Love yall, Katrina