Saturday, December 20, 2008

Learning Curve





The past few days, we have been dealing with what some call a preemie learning curve, and what I call stubbornness. Graham has taken his bottle very well at times, but lately he acts like he doesn't know how to take a bottle. The medical professionals assure us that this is very common among babies born so early, but it becomes very frustrating when we are soooo close to going home. This is the final challenge we have to conquer before coming home. We have come to terms to the fact that we will not be going home in time for Christmas, but now the goal is before the New Year.

He is tipping the scale at 5 lbs 6 oz now, and he even has a double chin! He is more handsome every day. He is becoming more vocal as well. Until this past week, he was very passive during his assessments and diaper changes, but this week he starts squirming about 15 minutes before time to eat, and he cries and squeals at our cold hands and wipes when we change his diaper. The nurses say this is a good sign that he is feeling good enough to fuss--we just need that guy to eat!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

J & A,

He is growing so much! I can't wait to get my hands on him. Three more days until Cookie & Paw-Paw will be there. Tell him to get ready....Santa is coming, too. This will be an unforgetable Christmas....At the Ronald McDonald House. We are so blessed to be together it doesn't matter where we are.
Cookie

Jennifer said...

I can hardly wait to see you three again. I know we talk every day and I see new pictures of Graham, but I am ready to touch him, too. Tell Graham that Aunt Jenn the Assistant Principal is coming and that she deals with stubborn kids ALL THE TIME and if he is just being stubborn, he should prepare for one of her famous "talks"!

Anonymous said...

Hey there! Hang in there kiddo! Even Tyler had trouble with his bottles at first and goodness...he ended up okay!

The pictures are just precious and we are so thrilled to know he's gaining weight and doing well. I know the eating part will come! It always does! I used to get really frustrated with Tyler when he wouldn't want to take, or finish, a bottle and our Doctor assured us it would be okay! I know Graham will be also!

Love you all and can't wait to see you.

Becky and Greg

Anonymous said...

Hi Friends!

I can't believe how much he has grown! I am totally with you guys...he is getting cuter and cuter each day! :) We can't wait to meet little precious boy! I wish you could be home for Christmas too, but what an amazing blessing to have Christmas with your new son..even if it is at the Ronald McDonald House! He is a gift from above!

We are praying for all of you and hoping for a New Year's return home!

We Love You Lots!
Kristi & Warren

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to wish you ALL a VERY MERRY Christmas!!! Graham is such a blessing this year and we hope to see you home REALLY quick! Love you all!

Becky and Greg

Anonymous said...

Hey there! Merry Christmas to the Alan Ogden family!!! I hope you all have had a GREAT Christmas and I know you are taking LOTS of pictures of Graham's first Christmas!!! Make sure and post them so we can all enjoy them.

I'll probably head up there Monday or Tuesday of next week. Which day would be better for you? I'm leaning towards Tuesday...that'll give you a day to rest up after the holiday!! How would that work? Let me know. Love you ALL.

Becky