Thursday, July 10, 2008

Things I find in my husband’s pockets…

For those of you who know my husband this story will not be hard to believe. For those of you who don’t know him, let me set the stage. My husband is the ultimate outdoorsman. He loves anything to do with hunting & fishing. My sister often says if we ever get to the point in society where we no longer use money, we will be just fine because we can “live off the land” with him around. So back to the original point of this post--things I find in his pockets. I learned early on in our marriage that EVERY pocket (pants or shirts) must be checked before putting the clothes in the washer. Here is a list of the most common and/or memorable items I have found in his pockets over the past 3 years:

My #1 favorite -- MONEY! (that is the only thing I keep for myself)

The not so bad-- gum, candy, paper, pens, pocket knives, ID badge for work, ammunition (pellets for his air gun, bullets, shotgun shells, CO2 cartridges for his air gun), fishing line

The “I’d rather not find that because it might poke me”--fishing lures, flies (for fishing), toothpicks, darts for the blow gun that my brother in law gave him

The worst find of all time -- found two weekends ago when I didn’t use my usual method of turning the pockets inside out to empty them, rather I haphazardly shoved my hand in the pocket of his shorts and came out with a handful of the normal items listed above plus A BIRD WING. YES!!!!! In my hand was the nasty wing of a poor bird. I do not have a clue why the wing was in his pocket, where the rest of said bird was or what my sweet husband was planning for this single wing. What I do know is that it will be a long time before I will be able to check his pockets without a second thought.

This also brings to mind the fact that if we end up with a little boy there may be no end to the list of items found in pockets on laundry day.

I invite you to share with me the things you find in pockets-preferably the strange ones to help me feel better :-)

14 comments:

Sarah said...

I know a local restaurant that is VERY Good and could probably use that wing. Have you thrown it away yet?
Here are my pocket discoveries:
1) old receipts or movies tickets from months ago--which makes me wonder how many times he wears a pair of pants before he puts them in the dirty clothes...
2) my favorite...Jeremy is a television producer and has always worked in television since we graduated from college...one day after we're married and months after we've graduated I find a little, red plastic thing in his pocket. I ask, "Jeremy, what is this?" He answers, "It's an LRB from the TeleCom department at school." He had looked at me in such a way that I felt he was saying, "DUH" with his eyes...so...I let the LRB go. A few days later I cannot handle it anymore...so I ask, "Jeremy, what in the world is a LRB?" "Little Red Button," he replies. "Oh, thanks...that clears it up." ?????

Jennifer said...

Of course there are always random treasures in the pockets of my loved ones. Here are my favorites:
From Daryl - the pop up head to a water sprinkler
From Karsen - wood chips from the playground at PreK that she found interesting enough to pocket
Nothing so far from Griff, but I'm sure that will change soon!

Jennifer said...

PS - Glad you're back to "Bloggen"!

Rebekah said...

I ALWAYS find rocks in Luke's (my 6-year old) pockets--and you would think to keep them in a pocket they would be cool, interesting rocks. Nope, usually they are those rock chips of concrete.

Sarah said...

Oooooo, Janet...look at you crazy girl. You're really unleashing the greatness in your blogging!! Nice, white background...new post asking for responses...You're goooooooood.

Sarah said...

Oooops...your new background just showed up on my screen. It's not a nice, white background...it's a lovely scrapbooky background. Niiiiiiiiice. I likey!

Janet said...

Thanks...I was inspired when Jennifer told me it was so easy (and free) to have a pretty blog. I even put a counter on the bottom like the two of you. I'm sure though that most of the count so far is me going back & forth changing colors and seeing how i like it. For the past 20 minutes now I've been trying to figure out how to get those crazy tools off the corners of everything--they just don't go and it's driving me crazy.

Janet said...

I forgot to include my worst fear of a pocket find: a snake! I just have these visions of my child coming in covered in head to toe mud and gather the clothes at the door and check the pockets to find a snake. It's surely a little crazy of me, but it is a true fear!!!!!

Jennifer said...

And it would be even worse if it were a toilet snake that was found in the pocket. Wouldn't it, Sarah?

I love the new blog layout!

Sarah said...

That's right, Jennifer. They're real, you know.

KJ Druyvesteyn said...

Okay, I'm not a crazy person...I'm a friend of Angie's who is a friend of Sarah and Rebekah's (and I met Rebekah the other day and now I can say that we are friends. I even have a blog post with my name in the title, folks).

I'm going to have to second Sarah on the "toilet snake" thing. I'm SCARED TO DEATH that one will get me in the middle of the night--I can see the headlines now "Woman finds snake in toilet...dies of heart attack." It's REAL too--when Landon was a few weeks old and I would have to get up in the middle of the night to nurse him, I saw a t.v. show where a little boy found one in their toilet. AND NO, it wasn't in S. Africa or something...right here in the good 'ole USA. C R E E P Y.

Anonymous said...

Okay Jannie, I'm leaving you a message!
First of all the only thing I find in Jay's pockets is the tops off cans because for some reason he can't drink any beverage in a can without tearing the little tab off and sticking it in his pocket....oh wait what am I thinking I have also found screws, bolts, chalk, tiny pencils, welding rods and the occasional dollar or change.
Wow, I thought my laundry was boring there for a minute until I thought about it.

Also, I would like everyone to know that I do not use the bathroom in the middle of the night without turing on the light for the very reason of the dreaded and feared toliet snake!! Always been a fear!

Janet said...

Big Welcome to Marybeth and KJ! Marybeth is a friend from highschool, and a roommate from college. And KJ--I have been seeing your comments on my sister's and Sarah's blogs so I'm glad to hear from you too.

I have to say that I never knew toilet-snake-aphobia was so widespread, but I'm glad my blog could bring it to light! Now that we've raised awareness, maybe we can find a cure...

The Robertson Family said...

Janet -- I'm another blog stalker from the "I know Angie who is friends with KJ and Rebekah who is sisters with Sarah who knows Jennifer" group. I wanted to let you know that the tools on the corners are only visible to you. If you log out you won't see them anymore. They let you edit the exact item you are looking at rather than just going into the dashboard and then navigating to the entry or item that you want to edit. Does that make sense? Just wanted to share some blogger wisdom! :-)